Become A Member
2 Methods to Earn PGA Membership
#1) Steps to Becoming a PGA Member - PGA PGM Apprentice Program
Click HERE for Step-by-Step Becoming a PGA Member Guide
Click HERE for PGA PGM Program At a Glance View
Click HERE for Cost Overview Sheet
Click HERE for PGA PGM Seminar Schedule & other resource documents
Click HERE for NENY PGA Pre-Apprentice Form - 2016
In order to become a PGA member, you will need to become a registered apprentice and go through the PGA Professional Golf Management (PGA PGM) Program. To register into the PGA PGM Program, you must:
- All individuals registering or re-registering as an apprentice must complete a Background Check. To complete the Background Check, click here.
(If you have been convicted of a felony, misdemeanor or equivalent, you should submit documentation to the PGA Membership Department to determine your eligibility for PGA Membership prior to proceeding. Per the PGA Code of Ethics, certain transgressions are cause for permanent preclusion to PGA Membership.)
- Access the Qualifying Level Courses on the PGA Knowledge Center and pass the Qualifying Test. Click here for further details.
- Satisfy the PAT requirement. For information click here.
- PLEASE NOTE: You are encouraged to verify the expiration dates for the Qualifying Level Courses and the PAT requirement. These expiration dates are noted in the above links.
- Meet the Eligible Employment requirements described:
- Individuals shall be eligibly employed in one of the following classifications.
- You must be full-time eligibly employed at the time of registration.
- Participation in an amateur event will forfeit all work experience credits earned prior to the event.
- An apprentice registration form verifying employment must be signed and submitted by you. Download the registration form.
- Pay all apprentice fees. Click here to access our Fees Calculator.
- Acceptable Progress in the PGA PGM Program is defined by the successful completion of each Level and matriculation into the subsequent Level.
- Level 1 must be successfully completed within two years of the Level 1 start date
- Level 2 must be successfully completed within two years of the Level 2 start date
- Level 3 and election to PGA Membership must be successfully accomplished within eight years of the Level 1 start date
- Individuals who have not successfully completed the Level at the end of their two-year suspension will be terminated from the PGA PGM Program. Apprentices have eight years from their Level 1 start date to graduate from the PGA PGM Program, meet all election requirements and become elected to PGA Membership.
- Have a high school diploma or be at least 18 years of age and have the equivalent of a high school education. You are eligible for educational credits toward PGA membership with a college degree.
- Please contact one of the following companies to submit your diploma, certificate or degree if your education was completed in a country other than the United States of America:
- Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
Phone: (305) 273-1616
Fax: (305) 273-1338
Translation Fax: (305) 273-1984
World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 01-5060
Miami, FL 33101
Phone: (800) 937-3899 or (305) 358-6688
- An individual must be either a U.S. Citizen or resident alien to be elected to PGA membership.
- A total of 36 work experience credits must be earned in addition to fulfilling the PGA PGM Program. (One credit per month while eligibly employed full time.) 12 credits are awarded for a four year college degree and six credits for a two year college degree.
#2) Steps to Becoming a PGA Member via PGA Golf Management University Programs
Click HERE for overall Fact Sheet for PGA PGM University & List of Accredited University Programs
What is the PGA Golf Management University Program?
- A four-and-one-half to five year program for aspiring PGA Professionals
- Accredited by the PGA of America
- Provides extensive classroom studies, internship experience and opportunities for player development
- Prepares students with the knowledge and skills to succeed in the golf industry
- Offers expanded career paths in addition to traditional green grass locations
- Allows students to earn a degree in areas such as Marketing, Business Administration, Hospitality Administration, Recreation and Park Management
- Graduates currently have a 100% employment placement rate
When you graduate from the PGA Golf Management University Program, you...
- Earn a bachelors degree in a golf industry compatible major
- Have the ability to apply for PGA Membership
- Earn the right to wear one of the most recognized logos in sports
- Are recognized as an “Expert in the Game and Business of Golf”
- The PGA Golf Management University Program is offered at 19 universities nationwide. Each participating university has specific entrance requirements. Financial assistance is granted to deserving students at each university through scholarships, work-study programs, loans and grants.
Click HERE to contact Program Director for specific university curriculum and majors
Amateur Status: Work experience earned prior to participating in an amateur event will be forfeited.
* Individuals previously terminated for failure to purchase the Level 1 Kit, must now access the Qualifying Level and pass the Qualifying Test to be eligible to register as an apprentice.
Note: All applicants are required to read and write in English to successfully complete the PGA Professional Golf Management Program.
If you have any questions concerning this information or requirements to become a PGA member, call PGA Membership Services at (800) 474-2776.